Saturday, August 9, 2008

Okay! NOW You Can Look on my Works, Ye Mighty. Then Despair.

I had meant to post these pictures in the last blog, but in combination with the baby waking up and the fact that my mouse was choosing not to swing to the right I just got frustrated and hit "post". So here you go. The baby is sleeping and I'm waiting for my chocolate-espresso agave mini-cupcakes to cool so that I can then apply the ganache. It's my Dad's birthday! (I just thought that I'd add that in there. He may or may not read this blog.)

This is a close-up of the cookies and cream cupcake from last post.

Photobucket

These are just plain white cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting, tinted pink. I only made these because I was having one of those moments where I was starting to feel smothered by the fact that I have three male children, one male partner, and a male Dupree living in our garage. There was too much maleness around and I needed to look at something frilly and pink. Henceforth, the pink cupcakes, which the males had no trouble wolfing down unceremoniously. They didn't even care what colour they were, or that I had been doing crazy things with the piping bag.

Photobucket


Now this was an experiment. I made some vegan chocolate cupcakes, cut the tops off of them in a circular shape, then I filled them with a homemade raspberry jam-like substance and vanilla buttercream icing. Then I replaced the tops I'd removed, piped on some more vanilla buttercream and drizzled over a bittersweet chocolate ganache. They were good (of course), but very messy. You wouldn't be able to eat one while driving to work, for instance. Neat freaks might need a plate and a spoon. Or fork. I prefer a fork but some people are just spoon people.

I actually put the cupcake right on the book to take the picture because the table had kid fingerprints all over it.

Photobucket

These next ones are mini-cupcakes that I made for Liam's party to celebrate the end of school. I had a vision of chocolate cake topped with swirls of lavender coloured vanilla buttercream with a simple dragée on the top of each one, but the boy had other ideas. So we just put either chocolate or vanilla icing on them and he dumped a bunch of assorted and brightly coloured sprinkles on them. Also, we used black papers with big, white eyeballs on them. Boys!

Photobucket


Speaking of boys... Liam wanted me to make my own birthday cake this year and I didn't really need anyone to twist my arm. I used the recipe from Nigella Lawson's "Nigella Bites", and I agree with her that it's the kind of cake that you'd want to eat entirely on your own after a bad break-up. You can see what I mean about boys and their idea of decorations. Liam asked if he could decorate it in private and then surprise me with the results. I was very surprised.

Photobucket


Now. As I was saying, "Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" Also, admire how much my mad html skillz have improved ever so slightly.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are making me salivate!

G said...

Wow. Yum. More, please.

Twills said...

@anonymous

Is that Treena? Because if so it's customary to identify yourself so that you don't appear to be some perv who is stalking me. However, if you are a perv who is stalking me, carry on. ;)

@bluntforcemama

This book might cure you of your baking aversion.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am not at liberty to rule out my being a perv. I knew you would know it was me. I want to go buy that book now. loves and hugsTreen

Leah said...

If only I could be this domestic.
I like the jelly one... I would eat this with a fork by the way.

Twills said...

I had a friend from Malaysia who used to eat hamburgers with a fork and knife. I think that cupcakes actually needs a fork, though. It was really messy.

Mandy_Fish said...

Are cupcakes on the South Beach Diet?

Twills said...

I'm pretty sure you can work them into stage 3. Unfortunately I gave up the South Beach Diet before I reached stage 3, having favoured stage one and stage two for far too long.